Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Review: Smiley (New Species #13) by Laurann Dohner



Smiley (New Species #13)

by Laurann Dohner

Review by Phoenix Andrews, 3 out of 5





I liked it but I didn't love it.

I've been waiting for Smiley's book since his character was introduced mid-series. I was a bit disappointed because I didn't see as much of Smiley's personality in this book as I'd expected. His character didn't tug at my heart like he had when he made cameo appearances in previous books.

Both the hero and the heroine read as less complex than Dohner's characters in past books. There seemed to be more "telling" as opposed to "showing". Smiley's best friend and supporting character revealed more to the heroine (and to me as the reader) by telling her important characteristics and background on Smiley than we actually saw from the hero himself. 

I've read the entire New Species series and as with any other long-running series there are hits and misses. All of the books have been written with the same formula based plot structure but I think it was more apparent in Smiley because the main characters weren't as fleshed-out as I wanted them to be and the story felt rushed. 

As always, I loved the world of New Species and enjoyed seeing the supporting characters and meeting some of the species females. I also liked how the heroine fought against the bond enough to make it believable but didn't blindly deny her attraction for so long it made her look like an asshole. Though I didn't love Smiley like some of the other books, the next-in-series remains on my auto-buy list. 

Reviewer, Phoenix Andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment