Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Review: The Queen of Zombie Hearts by Gena Showalter



The Queen of Zombie Hearts (White Rabbit Chronicles, #3)

by Gena Showalter

Review by Scarlett Roberts, 5 out of 5



This is one of the most enjoyable YA series I've ever read. The whole concept of mixing aspects of Alice in Wonderland and zombies is, in the words of Kat, cake. It’s something not done before, and I really appreciate that. Ali-gator and Cole are as steamy as ever, and actually, umm….consummate their relationship, which is great and shows a much more realistic picture of how a relationship between older teenagers actually is when compared to how a lot of other YA series would portray it. 

The final showdown is more between the group and Anima, people vs. people instead of people vs. zombies. Some characters we have grown to love over this series don’t make it, which was totally heartbreaking; I think I ALMOST shed a tear. Our group (obviously) knows how to handle themselves and even through the horrible losses they suffer, they totally kick-ass. Cole is utterly romantic when he is helping Ali get through some rotten things that are done to her by the super bitch CEO of Anima, but not in a cheesy, stupid way; it’s in his super-sexy, alpha-male way…and of course it’s freaking hot!


I’m sure this will make me sound like a callous hag buuuuuuut Ali’s relationship with her “Nana” is freaking ANNOYING as all-get-out. Ali is a great, strong, female lead (love!) but when she starts talking to her grandmother it’s nothing but whining, non-stop whining. I.HATE.WHINING. I know everyone whines a little to their mothers or grandmothers, but if you are THE most super badass zombie killer in the whole freaking world, wouldn’t you be…I don’t know…a little less cry-baby bitchy? Especially after you find out said Nana had been keeping some pretty LARGE secrets from you? Hmmmmm?

I think this series was awesome. 5 stars for the conclusion of the trilogy. A+ for originality. A+ for super, sexy alpha male lead Cole (and bonus points for making him 18 so I don’t feel THAT pervy when I’m lusting after him) and a great, strong, female lead. Would love to see a spinoff that centers around Frosty (just a really awesome suggestion for you Ms. Showalter!)

Reviewer, Scarlett Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment