Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Review: Captive of Her Heart by Charlotte Boyett-Compo



By Charlotte Boyett-Compo



Reviewed by Scarlett Roberts, Rating: 3.5 out of 5








There were a lot of things to like about this book. The storyline was very intriguing and well-done. I really get into all that deadly, political maneuvering. Even though the setting for this book takes place far, far into the future, there were some aspects that reminded me of a historical romance…fighting Kings, Queens, and Emperors; and all the intrigues, spies, and betrayals that go along with them. There is a pretty large cast of characters (one named Lucius Severus Petronius…an homage to Harry Potter??) that really make this a well-developed plot.

Some things I did have a problem with…the vocabulary. I find it hard to believe that when 2 Alpha males are having a rather heated argument with each other (like they are about to fight to the death!) that they would call each other a “brat” or a “twat”. Also, I don’t know how many times Queen Sairin was referred to as a “whore” or a “slut” because she was forced by her brother at a young age to have sex with a powerful man and became pregnant. If this is supposed to be held 1,000 years from now, I hope and pray that our slut-shaming days are over. It was also confusing to me that our hero was a “Reaper”, could turn into an animal, and maybe had to drink blood…I just didn’t get the whole picture about some of the supernatural beings. I believe there are other books by this author set in the same "universe", so maybe that is explained earlier? As a stand-alone book though, I would have liked some more details.

All in all, I found this to be an enjoyable read. Rating 3.5 out of 5. I think with some of the under-developed sidelines cut out, and a little more backstory into the main characters, it would have been a 5 out of 5.


Reviewer, Scarlett Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment