Tuesday, January 13, 2015

2 out of 5: Last Call by Bridget Midway


Last Call

By Bridget Midway

Published: September 24, 2014


Book Blurb:
Eminence Dutton is at a crossroad. At work, she's up for a promotion that's she's not sure she can do. Her love life with her librarian has hit a wall. She gets an invitation from her former best friend to a new night club opening. Each decision has her shaking in her sensible shoes. The only thing that would complicate her life more would be to see her old high school boyfriend.

Keys "Tank" Tanksley can't believe it when he sees Eminence standing in line at Epitome. He takes that moment and his temporary bit of power as the security company owner to give her a very thorough and intimate search that brings up old, familiar feelings–feelings he never stopped having for Eminence but that she must have abandoned a long time ago.

Tank has changed, most notably, his foray into BDSM. No longer an unsure high school boy, this man does not plan on letting this woman go without being heard or without her experiencing the sting of his whip.

When Tank tries to rekindle the relationship with Eminence, one where he asks her to make a huge change, she has to wonder what's important: her dream or her heart.


Review by Scarlett Roberts, Rating 2 out of 5


I would best describe this book as…meh. I could take it or leave it. It had some good points, and a few more bad points. I like the idea that the author had going; doesn't everyone have that “one that got away”? The whole reasoning of how she got away though, was a little ridiculous, even for drama-filled teenagers. If I saw my best friend simply hugging my boyfriend, I would surely not flip-out, assume the worst, and never speak to either one of them again for 15 years. I would need a little bit (just a teensy?) more hard evidence.

One thing I did find hilarious? The reunion scene between her and her former best friend where they almost fight, and the author includes the taking off of the jewelry and shoes. Classic club-brawl actions!

I couldn't make a good connection with Eminence. Her library “boyfriend” from the beginning? Bizarre. I’m not sure what exactly was going on there. Was he a gay man in denial or hiding? I didn't understand the relationship there of him not touching or kissing her? And why Eminence made such a big deal out of it and was allowing this guy to kind of treat her like dirt after only having 5 dates? I don’t know…I didn't follow and found it weird. It was not a good way to set-up an introduction to the main character, it made me question and even maybe (just a little) dislike her.

The chemistry between her and Keys at times, was really good…other times, so-so. I can be a little picky about amorous scenes and how they are set up, something about this author’s erotic vocabulary just didn't mesh well with me.

Even though I didn't necessarily love this book, I think other readers might find it more enjoyable. It’s all about personal taste! While this book didn't resonate with me, I can see where and how it could with a different reader. My rating for Last Call, 2 out of 5.

Reviewer, Scarlett Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment